Loading...
Wednesday, June 27, 2007

tanjong pagar heritage (part 1)

As part of my job in NLB, after reading up on the history of a conservation area, I can go down to take photos that I feel are of heritage interest. Gerald accompanied me on my first "mission" to Tanjong Pagar last Friday.

It was the first time I got my hands on a $1600+ SLR camera. At the time of shooting, I did not have any proper training and know nuts about ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc. except for the impatient crash course by Mr Gerald, who tried to teach me everything about the camera in 10 minutes. *grin*

Points to note:
1) Although I took these photos, please refrain from downloading them for personal use as they are still unpublished by NLB.
2) This is a long post, and might take more efforts to detect lame jokes (if any). I try to keep the commentaries short.
3) I only included a small selection of low resolution photos, which I like for its artistic value or its composition that tugs at my heartstrings.



Red Dot Traffic, designed by F. Dorrington Ward. This conserved building was built in 1928 as a police barrack. Currently serves as a creative hub and red dot design award gallery.





The exterior view and the corridor view of Airview Building, where multiple beautiful patterns can be observed. This restored shophouse was built in the colonial periods.



Cityscape model of the downtown area housed in the URA Centre. Photo shows the urban plan of the future integrated resort site in Marina Bay.



A view of Peck Seah street from the URA Centre. On the left is the sculpture "Celestial Earth" by Sun Yu-Li (1999). The inspiration stemmed from the Confucian philosophy: "a square within, a circle without".



How some of our very young Singaporeans feel about our country. I like the way students of different races contributed to this piece, displaying our multi-racial cohesiveness. Cynics might claim that this is rigged.



How could I not highlight a sculpture that used white as its base color? This macro shot, which gently sets the background out of focus, made the sculpture stands out against the waterfall in URA Centre.



Another macro shot. Kids enjoying their playtime in the childcare centre, located at the second storey of URA Centre. So energetic and carefree.



Grooming our young Singaporeans for the future, to fulfil our vision for Singapore. The composition is so meaningful, I did not hesitate to bring out the camera.

Not very heritage-like you say? The Red Dot Traffic is a huge conserved and restored landmark building: it is there as an appetiser. Stay tuned for the next part which I promise will contain much more pre-war colonial goodies!

- Anonymous (0) 11:51 PM Permalink -


This site in its entirety is NOT copyright © 2006-2007.

You may copy whatever you like since most items in this webpage is easily available on the internet. However if you are copying my photos, please use it with respect for the persons in the photos and let me know either by tagging me or by email.

It is important to note that the above message is also copied from someone else.

Narration
  • ()
  • the squeaky (midget)


  • Inspiration

  • benny tan
  • fuqi
  • kianjoo
  • matthew chua
  • liren
  • wanjun
  • waihong

    Curiosity

  • my facebook profile
  • my friendster profile

    Chronicle

  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • April 2008

    Existence

  • me quiz time
  • new job
  • rich wq, poor wq
  • pc show
  • visit to dad's workplace
  • anything or whatever?
  • new wallet
  • minor updates
  • touch singapore stl champions
  • premier league 06/07